Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A Knee Update of Sorts

Still sound and still ornery.
 I'll preface by saying that all is well in the land of Suzie-mare, so no need to panic!

I sent my Vet a vast array of pictures, videos, and a lengthy description Friday evening after I had a friend help me shoot some footage. This afternoon I got a reply back and it basically said what I figured it would say "Keep her on Previcoxx, and we will talk about injections in the Spring" (not a direct quote, but the gist of it, lol). I wasn't surprised the Vet wanted me to keep her on Previcoxx - it's normally something she is on during the riding season but I normally do not give it to her during the "off" season since I am not riding.

However, we've had quite cold weather and it's quite possible that because the horse's aren't moving around as much and because we have more snow this year than we had last year, that she's stiffened right up. The extra "boost" that Previcoxx gives her will be beneficial in this instance. And in addition, the snow and rain is causing ice which inadvertently causes trip and slip hazards - something that may be attributed to her onset of lameness. It is quite possible in fact, that the formation on her knee isn't directly related to the lameness she presented last week. Something to think about, anyway.

Little fuzzy chunkster <3
Of course, it is difficult for a Vet to even determine a lot of things about Suzie without seeing her "in the flesh" and I respect that my Vet is doing all she can for me, less seeing Suz in person. There is a scheduled trip for them in March wherein they will be coming up to the area (like they do every year). So although it has been "likely" determined that this change is in fact arthritis, the Vet isn't going to put a label on it until she sees it in person. My belief is that the changes in her knee are largely attributed to arthritis and the knee it has affected was more susceptible to the damage considering that leg is her "bad" leg (ie. barrel racing).

I realize that this isn't exactly practical, nor is it the most beneficial way of doing things (sending a Vet photos/videos), but when your area does not have a large animal vet, you do what you can to get by. I would like to say that I took her to a clinic and we did ultrasounds and xrays, but that is just not a reality in our neck of the woods. It may not be something everyone can understand, but it is a sad reality of where I live.

Pretty sure I shared this photo already but
she is just so damn cute in her new halter.
In better news, my Vet has given me the OK to ride her walk, trot, and canter (within reason, of course). Movement and mobility is critical for animals with arthritis and so long as we can continue progression, I don't forsee any more issues in our future. I was going to haul out yesterday and take the horses to the next town's indoor arena, but it began snowing and hailing so I decided to forgo the adventure. The next available date I'll be able to haul is Thursday, so fingers crossed for some clear roads. Suzie will be worked and Spud will (hopefully) be put through a jump chute.


16 comments:

  1. Glad to here that Suzie is all better! My horse is currently on previcox for navicular and I find that it helps a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you have such a sensible vet. I totally get your situation. I do have access to an excellent vet but not all the bells and whistles of equipment- that would require travelling to another province.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you. I wasn't quite sure what kind of response I'd invoke, as a lot of horsey people are pro-"CALLTHEVETASAP".

      Delete
  3. Suzie is adorable and so sweet. The Previcox should help a lot. We have four horses on it now and they feel much better with it. Good luck with the toads on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to hear that she's feeling better. Red has bit a been stiffer than usual with this snow and not moving around quite as much. I've upped his arthritis supplement dose a bit and with some work he's loosened up. Crossing my fingers that Suzie will be totally 100% again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to hear you have found a workable solution. Here's to you being able to get the ponies worked tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm crossing my fingers! It's been on my mind for the last two weeks!

      Delete
  6. We're in the same situation here vet wise, although there is a travelling one that comes once a month or so (obviously without any big equipment tho!) glad to hear Suzie is going to be ok :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once a month would be so awesome. But we have to settle for twice a year, which is OK I guess.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It's really made all the difference in SUzie!

      Delete
  8. fingers crossed that she stays so comfortable on the previcoxx!

    ReplyDelete